June 6, 2012
Perhaps a peculiar title for a blog by a legal recruiter, but hopefully you will be able to benefit from the message contained within it.
Your legal recruitment consultant is an invaluable tool in your search for a new legal role. That person is acting as your agent from locating the right types of available roles and generating interest in you to preparing you for interview right through to negotiating salary and benefits if you are successful in impressing the firm! That is why it is key to choose your legal recruitment consultant carefully – see our blog on choosing right legal recruiter for tips on what you should look for.
However, that is only the beginning! Once you have chosen the legal recruitment consultant(s) you want to use, your relationship is key as to ensuring you secure the role that is right for your career. Below are a few pieces of advice as to how to get the best out of this relationship.
1. Be completely open and honest about how you are in your current role and the type of firm you want to move to. If you are vague or come across as undecided, you may hear about legal jobs you are not interested in.
2. Let us know of your intentions from the beginning! If you are only testing the waters and are not ‘desperate’ for a move, let us know – we will still provide you with a quality service, but will know not to oversell you to potential employers.
3. Take our advice! We know the legal market and the job opportunities that are out there and we know what law firms and partners want to see and hear. We can provide succinct advice about CV preparation, market overview, interview tips, remuneration and how to hand in your notice – as a candidate, it is key you take it all on board.
4. Tell us the truth – whether it be about previous applications or about following (or lack of), please be honest as it makes it easier to highlight the right opportunities and to manage the expectations of the law firms to which you are applying and yourself!
5. Be strong. If you have applied to a firm already, be sure to advise other legal recruiters that this is the case and do not let them submit duplicate applications. Likewise, tell us when other recruiters have already made applications. Unsurprisingly, law firms are not too keen on this!
A lot of this may seem obvious, but it is surprising how many people do not follow these tips and, therefore, do not get the best out of their legal recruitment consultant. At CapeClarke, we are ex-solicitors who completely understand how you are feeling and the concerns and queries you have about moving. We are there to help you – you just need to let us!
If you have been thinking about a move or would just like some general advice about options in the market, please feel free to contact Terry Cape or Chris Clarke on 0113 2385965.
CapeClarke is a leading niche legal recruitment consultancy operating across Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield and London. Please feel free to check out our priority legal vacancies by clicking here. Please note these legal vacancies are only a small selection of those we have been instructed on, so please get in touch if you do not see a role which looks suitable.